Thursday 22 February 2007

Tribes and Tributes

Greetings Friend,
'Klahanie' is a word from the Chinook Tribe who are located on the Pacific Northwest of North America. The definition of 'Klahanie', is generally accepted as meaning 'The Great Outdoors.' I have a great love of Klahanie. It triggers in me awe-inspiring thoughts of when I lived in Canada.
The West Coast Tribes of British Columbia have a special place in my heart. They are a proud and noble people. Their spirituality, their respect for Nature are an example our modern world could truly learn from. They are in harmony with the environment. We can learn from the 'music' of their souls.
When I was fifteen, way back in the Easter of 1969, I went on a walk in support of the indigenous Tribes of British Columbia. It was called 'Moccasin Miles.' Side by side, we walked and we talked with the indigenous people. The walk was a three day event that covered 100 miles. It commenced from Vancouver and ended in a small town aptly named 'Hope', British Columbia. (For all you trivia buffs-'Hope' was the town they used in 'Rambo-First Blood.')
I remember on the third day, with 30 miles to go, just how much pain my feet were in. It had rained the entire time and I discovered the holes in my trainers. My socks were soaked and the bottom of my feet were completely covered in blisters. Yet, through all this pain, I was determined to cross the finish line.
Nearing the end of the journey but still not seeing the town, we started up a comical chant. "There is no Hope, there is no Hope", we sang. Then round that final corner we came upon the sign "Welcome to Hope." We cheered and we cried. We had found 'Hope' and it was time to celebrate our achievement.
So now, when my life gets me down. I focus back on that wonderful time. I think of those proud and noble people. I think of how they extended their hand of friendship to me. On that walk, we were all united in a common cause. The message at the end was hope. I carry that hope in my heart.
Thank you for your time. Warm regards klahanie.

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing journey - such a powerful message. There is hope - how true. Sometimes it can be truely illusive and has to be sought, but it's there somewhere. That sense of community and goodwill can be completely overwhelming especially when it's combined with overcoming a big hurdle - together, it's just the most incredible feeling of connection to others. Brilliant - you've made my day. Thanks Klahanie, Em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post adanac, your use of words brought the whole experience alive for me.
    The spirituality of the Tribe that you mention, resonated with me on a personal level, as I continue to practise this spiritual connectedness in my daily life, which has brought me great comfort and peace.
    With respect to HOPE, it is what we all need to carry with us, to see us through the more challenging times that we sometimes encounter.

    I look forward to reading your next post. Dx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your love for the great outdoors really shines through - and it's a love that I share - although I don't think that I've any memories as inspiring as the one that you have shared here. Many thanks to you for your message of hope, and for a really great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Japan we have a clog type shoe,it reminds me of when you were on about moccasons,it shows that also what we wear descibes how or who we are,also because I am British,while I was in Japan I lived as Japan live.So your Feelings of Tribal stuff,can be showing people that regardless of who we are,there is that inner feeling of home,so your portray of your homeland is much like mine in japan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience with us. I'm also a lover of the outdoors. We LOVE camping and hiking. I love storms, the beach, sailing, kayaking, body surfing (don't wear a bikini, wear your one-piece). I love walking in the rain. There's a poem I'm proud of that I wrote about a storm coming through town. I'm enjoying my alphabet time already, and you?
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-Host of the April A to Z Challenge
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tina,
    My apologies for not responding sooner to your comment on this archived posting. It was back before the days of 'subscribe to follow up comments'. However, I noticed that this posting had been visited according to my stats.
    I truly appreciate you taking the time to read this most inspirational of times in my life. And you now know what "Klahanie" means :)
    Indeed, we have a shared love of camping and the exhilaration of the great outdoors. Coincidentally, I don't wear a bikini.
    You have a great poetic and writing prowess and it's always interesting to check out your blog. My time with the alphabet is rather sporadic. However, I'm enjoying my mostly alternative take to your challenge. Take care and thanks again for commenting on this posting.
    In kindness and peace, Gary

    ReplyDelete

I do try to comment back to each commenter individually. However, I might have to shorten my replies or give a group thank you. That way, I can spend more time commenting on your blogs. Thank you and peace, my friend.